“I want people to know that, if I do things, if… If I do things that hurt anyone, please. Please forgive me.”
NO NO NO ;_;
I was tearing up reading it and that final page just had me SOBBING :(
Okay, I don’t even watch Adventuretime but after reading this strip, I had to look it up. Amazing.
At Comic Con today, I went as Black Cat. This is a shitty picture and there will be better ones of my whole costume coming up but I just want to say something.
Black Cat’s costume has a fair amount of cleavage (conservative compared to many other female comic characters but a good amount as far as what I’ve ever shown). I guess I was not surprised to have a couple men ask to pose with me and then do some doofy “WHOA LOOK AT THOSE KNOCKERS” poses. I just make a really ugly face when I see they’re doing it. One guy with the social graces of a lemur said to me “I was this close to wearing that same outfit. My breasts are large and supple and I think it would have been nice.” Nope. Stop talking.
But aside from guys being doofy and awkward (but clearly not foul-intentioned), I did have my first truly skeezy experience at Comic Con today.
And my first truly empowering moment as well.
This group of men from some kind of Stan Lee fan club blah blah internet video channel blah blah asked to interview with them on camera about Comic Con. I said well okay, sure. Camera is rolling. The “host” is a middle aged, rotund dude. It’s an all-male crew and lots of people (mostly guys) were beginning to crowd around. The following is the interview as burned in my mind. Keep in mind that I expected this to be about Comic Con in general.
- Him: I’m here with…
- Me: Mandy, aka Felicia Hardy aka Black Cat
- Him: ..And she is HOT. Do you think I’m hot enough to pull that off?
- Me: Uh, I’m not sure, I’ve never seen you in drag.
- Him: I’ve got a great ass. Go on, spank me.
- Me: (look at his large ass, popped up mere inches away from me then look into the camera like are you kidding me . No thanks. I may hurt you, I’m a lot stronger than I look.
- Him: Aw come on!
- Me: No, seriously. Stop.
- Him: Damn, alright! Well let me ask you an important question then…what is your cup size?
- Me: (big talk show smile) That is actually none of your fucking business.
- Him: Oh! I think that means to say she’s a C.
- Me: I actually have no breasts at all, what you see is just all of the fat from my midsection pulled up to my chest and carefully held in place with this corset. It’s really uncomfortable, I don’t know why I do it.
- Him: (to the male crowd) Aw, come on what do you guys think? C cup?
- —a few males start to shout out cup sizes as I stand there looking at this guy like this has to be a fucking joke, then look at the crowd and see that no amount of witty banter or fiestiness will stop making this whole thing fucking dumb. It was clearly a ploy to single out cosplaying women to get them to talk sexual innuendos and flirt with this asshole and let him talk down to them simply because they were in costume and were attractive. Whether I’m in a skintight catsuit or not, I’m a fucking professional in everything I do and I don’t need to play nice for this idiot.
- Me: This is not an interview, this is degrading. I’m done. (I walk away)
- Him: (clearly dumbfounded and surprised) ..Come on, it’s all in good fun!
- Me: Being degraded is fun? That was unprofessional and I hope that isn’t your day job because you can’t interview for shit, my man.
And the entire crew and the crowd were SILENT. NOTHING. SHOCK, HONEY. It felt like I was in a heated fog, full of rage and pride and I sashayed away feeling like the most badass motherfucker in the whole damn room, but kind of also on the verge of tears. A slow build of applause would have been appropriate, but from the looks on people’s faces, they were just completely not expecting me to do what I just did- which was really nothing more than speaking up for myself. It wasn’t something one should feel brave for doing but crazy for not doing when necessary.
It’s because many people at these cons expect women cosplaying as vixens (or even just wearing particularly flattering costumes) to be open/ welcoming to crude male commentary and lecherous ogling, like our presence comes with subtitles that say “I represent your fantasy thus you may treat me like a fantasy and not a human in a costume”. And maybe that will always be how the majority of people see us. But that does not mean we have to put up with shit that crosses the line, it does not mean we owe them a fantasy, it does not mean we dress up to have guys drooling over us and letting us know that we turn them on. It is not all about your dicks, gentlemen. So I encourage cosplaying women everywhere to be blunt and vocal with their rights, their personal boundaries, and their comfort level at conventions. I actually encourage girls to be brashly shameless about these things, to not be afraid to speak up if you feel uncomfortable and to let the person doing it know that they are crossing the line. Don’t keep quiet because you’re scared of what they might say or think- because if you say nothing they will continue to see what they’re doing as OK.
Love this. I’ve always been pretty lucky that guys haven’t gotten too touchy when we take photos. I’ve had one guy try and I had to shut him down IMMEDIATELY and let him know it was not appreciated.
I totally would have applauded her.
Check out my awesome friends!
The first photo is with my friend Jason. He is a seriously talented up and coming comic book artist, so keep an eye out for his name. Dude is an amazing penciler, inker, and writer.
The second is of one of my closest friends, Carrie as Katara from A:TLA. I love this girl and had such an amazing time with her! We were going to do speed dating but the guys in our group didn’t make it in so we bailed :( There was NO cell service at the con and we didn’t know how long the Speed Dating would take to meet back up with them. :/
The last group is @adanska and @nonvieta with another one of their friends. They had an awesome crossplay as the Avengers. @Adanska’s Hawkeye was BADASS and @nonvieta’s Banner was spot on. Their Loki also looked great!
I only had the chance to meet a few other Borderlands cosplayers…pretty sad about that. The first one I met was a psycho and he had an awesome costume! I was so excited about finding another BLs cosplay, I ended up like grinning like an idiot in the photo. Sigh. I found a Maya and she had a really creative idea for a phaselock…brilliant. The Gunzerker is one of my favorite classes so I was super stoked to meet someone who was cosplaying as him. The Anya cosplayer was so cool…never thought I would get to meet someone who does cosplay professionally!
On another note, I totally met Jessica Nigiri without even realizing it. She actually asked me to take a photo with her (which makes me feel sooooo cool!) She was also cosplaying as Moxxi so my cosplay confidence was immediately shattered since
1. She is way thinner than me.
2. She is younger than me.
3. She is WAY HOTTER than me.
…yup. I look like an extremely dumpy and short Moxxi next to her so I have omitted this photo for the sake of my self conscience.
The last photo of the CL4P-TP unit and I was a really funny story. I was sitting down with my boots off (my feet are still killing me today) and my friend noticed him going by. I wanted a photo with him desperately but couldn’t get up fast enough. My friend ran after him and nabbed him for me, but the poor guy must have been so weirded out. Nothing says creepy like “hey, can you come with me and take a photo?” XD
Overall, I was pleased with my cosplay and EXTREMELY flattered because I was getting stopped every 5 feet to take a photo. My only gripe is that I should have made the cosplay tighter or more form fitting because my knockers give the impression that I am plump since the fabric doesn’t clip in under my boobs. I probably should have gotten inserts for the boots too since it is extremely painful to walk today and was even worse after the first 6 hours yesterday.
Moxxi and I used to be good friends some years ago, always helped out one another, gave each other ideas and advice about work and some other things… I heard her business was not doing so well lately, so, I decided to give her an idea, for old times’ sake.
Gaming of Thrones House Sigils
The Great Houses of Gamestoros receive their own house sigils and mottos in this series from Dorkly. In the Video Game of Thrones you either win…. or you press start to continue.